Poisoning

April 12, 2012

We all want to think that we keep our pets safe and sound, and generally this is true, but many dogs suffer poisoning despite our best attempts. Knowing what to do when you believe that your dog has been poisoned is important. Knowing what to look for and how to act can help your dog from experiencing the more painful or profound aspects of being poisoned. Dog poisoning is more common than you might think, so you should know what to look for in your dog.

Symptoms

The symptoms of poisoning really do vary from dog to dog. The symptoms of poisoning in your dog may also depend on what they have consumed or been poisoned by. Some of the more common poisoning symptoms include mental depression, weakness, uncoordinated gait, vomiting, and coma. Again, these symptoms will vary from dog to dog and that is why it is a good idea to know what to look for so that you can act on symptoms before they get to the level where your dog is in a coma and unresponsive.

Prevention

Preventing poisoning is not always possible, but you can do many things in and around your home to make sure that your dog is not at a higher risk of being poisoned than they need to be. Many household plants are poisonous to dogs and cats, so if you want or have plants you will need to make sure that they cannot be consumed or are not within reach by your dog. You will also want to make sure that any and all chemicals and medications are out of reach of your pet. Also make sure that your dog is not left unattended outdoors where they may come across plants and animals that could be poisonous to their system.

Treatment

The treatment for poisoning varies depending on what your dog has been poisoned with. If your dog is poisoned by kerosene, gasoline, alkali or acid you will not want to induce vomiting as you normally would. Instead, you will want to provide your dog with milk and then get them to the veterinarian as soon as possible.

If your dog has consumed something other than these substances you can induce vomiting by mixing three percent hydrogen peroxide with equal parts of water. You’ll want to slowly administer the mixture so as not to cause the dog to choke on the liquid. This may or may not work, but you should rush your dog to the veterinarian if they start showing any of the above signs and symptoms as providing milk and inducing vomiting alone may not be enough.

Discussion

comments