What to do if your dog eats chocolate?

April 13, 2012

Dogs are considered to be one of the best pets any family can own. As the saying goes, “Dogs are a man’s best friend.” They are extremely loyal, loving, and committed to you (the owner). There are several advantages that come with owning a dog such as a good play companion. Dogs have a knack for knowing how one is feeling and accommodate appropriately. For example, if you are feeling blue, your dog will know and try and make you feel better. So it is very important that you take care of your dog as well as possible if anything were to happen. There have been many cases where a dog has actually died from eating chocolate. Owners may not know that chocolate is one of the worst things for a dog to eat. If this ever happens to you, here is what you do in case your dog accidentally inhales some chocolate.

There are a few different techniques one can follow in order to help save their dog after they have chewed on some chocolate. Chocolate is terrible for a dog to eat and it is very important that when you first realize this ha happened, that you notify your local veterinarian. They should recommend a way in how you can make your dog vomit. It is key that your dog gets the chocolate out of their system so it does not cause any internal damage. Trying to induce vomiting requires the instructions from a veterinarian, so call before you actually try and do it yourself. The steps may differ from breed to breed.

Another way to try and rid the chocolate out of a dog’s system is to feed hem their favorite food. This only works on little dogs but if you over feed your little dog with something they really enjoy, it should dilute the chocolate in their system. In the case of a big dog, depending on how much chocolate it has eaten, it may just make them super hyper and then crash out. Regardless, chocolate is very deadly to dogs and one should always contact their vet’s office to see if they need to do anything.

Dogs are one of the best creatures on the whole planet. They can literally become a intregal part of a person’s family. It is crucial that you always take as good of care as you can with your dog. In the case the eat chocolate, notify a veterinarian to see what you should do.

Related articles

Dogs and chocolate poisoning
Why can’t dogs eat chocolates?

Foods that are toxic to dogs

Discussion

comments